Menu

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Managing the URGENT now!

What seems so necessary today may not even be desirable tomorrow. ~Anonymous
managing_the_urgentI have always lived an ordered life. Meaning, I do things as scheduled. Routines are my company, day-in and day-out.

To some, it may look like a very boring life -it’s not.

Routines and schedules keep me focused, and enable me to live a balanced life. While that seems rigorous, I still enjoy spontaneity. However, most of the time I prefer things to be planned ahead and done on time.

I must admit, occasionally, I am caught in the web of urgent matters and I drift away from my day’s marching orders. Unplanned events are inevitable. Unexpected calls and visitors, reading unsolicited emails, attending emergency meetings, and troubleshooting are some of those things, which tend to throw me off-balance. Some are important, and some are simply nuances caused by people who want others to conform to their selfish agendas or tag along their unorganized way of doing things. What is worse? These things are more often uncontrollable, yet they demand my immediate attention.

So, how do I cope?

Frankly, I do not have straight rule.

I act contingently. Attend to what is more important, and return to my schedule the soonest. If I tarry, I will end up accomplishing nothing at the end of the day. Goals are essential here. Keeping them is very crucial, and I think it is one of the best ways of sipping through the urgent of the day and attend only to those, which will help meet those goals. My daily activities are tied up with my short and long-term goals. They serve as an anchor that prevents me from drifting away and bowing to the tyranny of the urgent.

How about you, how do you deal with yours?