Menu

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

My Second Dip into the Freelancing World

As I have mentioned in a previous post, I went back to my corporate life. I thought I missed it, but it was actually more of a necessity than a want. No regrets.

One of the major wake-up calls was the office politics, yeah; I must admit that while I know my way around, I get lost more often. I lose my temper, my focus, and even my sense of decency.

This is not to say that these are my final words, but I believe that I was really meant to work as a Freelance Consultant. More than sixteen years of corporate life were just meant to prepare me, mold me for what I am really meant to pursue in my career. Make a difference, as they say. I will. In my own way, I will.

It is interesting to note here that the word “freelance” originally refers to medieval warriors who owe no allegiance to any king or kingdom. They fight for money, for a cause, and others, for honor. Some of them are loosely referred to as mercenaries. They are in effect “free” agents, and “lance” is their primary weapon.

Well, I am no mercenary. But it is much better to enjoy  freedom from corporate bickering, rivalries from your peers, and working with an all-knowing, insecure and paranoid boss. Besides, there is greater potential in doubling my income in a short period of time compared to being employed. I dictate my pace. No long drives, because my office is just a 5-second commute from my bedroom. Best of all, I don’t have to inform anybody when I don’t have to show up for work.

This is my second dip.

I have learned my lessons well, and I am better equipped now to take on projects that will showcase my passion and skills. I am my BOSS.

This time, I am swimming into the deep, where the current is stronger, where the sharks are –with no life vest, except the assurance that this is what I really want to do with my life. For I am now more than ready to take on anything the world has to offer.