Menu

Thursday, February 21, 2008

How does getting old feel?

IMO, it depends on the personal perspective of the person. Some people are scared of growing old. That is why they would spend on all kinds of cosmetics to keep their youth. Others spend on surgery. These people are horrified with the thought of getting old so they would rather have their skin pulled and stretched just to appear young. And then of course there are those who know how to age gracefully. The wrinkles on their faces cannot hide the sparkle of youth in their lives. They will always be the prettiest of them all, because they not only ‘look’ natural but are indeed natural. There is a joy that comes from within that is unaffected by neither time nor age.

An old woman wrote a letter about the five men she has to live with everyday of her life:
I have become a little older since I last saw you, and a few changes have come into my life since then. I am seeing five gentlemen everyday. As soon as I wake up, Mr. Power helps me out of bed every morning. His first name is Will. That’s right, Mr. Will Power. Then I goo see the next man in my life who really gives great relief. His name is of course is John.

Then Charlie Horse comes along and when he is here he takes a lot of time and attention. When Charlie Horse leaves, Mr. Ritis, you know, his full name is Arthur Ritis. He does not like to stay in one place very long, so he takes me form joint to joint. After such a busy day I’m really tired and glad to go to bed with Ben gay. What a life! I like his scent and he makes me feel cool. These are the five men I have to live with every day of my life now that I have f grown older.

By the way, the preacher came to call the other day. He said at my age I should be thinking about the hereafter. I told him, “Oh, I do that all the time! Whether I am in the parlor, the kitchen, upstairs or down in the basement, I ask myself –What am I here after?"
Apparently the old lady in our story knows how to cultivate a healthy sense of humor. I think that is one of the best ways to deal with old age. No cosmetic surgery, no stretching, no liposuction, but just a simple way of viewing life with a touch of humor. Rather than being depressed or angry about her condition, she chose to resist negative emotions and make the best of things in a creative way.

How about you? How does getting old feel?

5 comments:

  1. I have seen old people really enjoying their life without bothering about their external changing shape of face and skin. They live their life as it comes. On the other hand, some young people feel life as a burden. My own blog which is dedicated to luck and success, I have put a lot of insight from these people on how to live life happily - just like the old lady in your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nothing eternity, even "god" can die, altought he never old xixixi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once saw a 70 year old woman, who had had several children in her younger days, and she was wearing tight short shorts and a tiny tube top. I never saw anything so disgusting in all my life. I am a firm believer in growing old gracefully, as my Grandmothers both did, and not spending your days trying to be the teenager that you haven't been in 60 some years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @alok & cindy

    Indeed. It is always delightful and encouraging to see old people 'growing old gracefully.' In fact, they really inspire me.

    @pandi

    dude, you're right, sure. XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was a teenager, I thought being 40's was old, but now that I am in my 40's, I still act as if I'm in my 20's. There is nothing anyone can really do from getting old. Dying the hair or stretching the skin is only delaying the inevitable. Everyone should live life to their fullest no matter at what age.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts ^_~