Menu

Monday, March 16, 2009

Child Rearing | A Passion or an Obligation?

father and son playing together
“A child will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bankroll smaller, home happier, clothes shabbier, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for” ~Unknown
Single parenting is a bliss and sometimes (or occasionally) a disaster.

No matter how long or how tiring my day is, a smile, a hug, or a kiss from my son would immediately ease me of the weights I have been unsuccessfully trying to carry all day long. Though, I work at home most of the time, but I do miss my son whenever I spend more than 5 hours on my laptop. With pressing deadlines in tow, I sometimes feel sorry that I cannot attend personally to his needs and leave that to the nanny.

For me, that is a sure road to disaster in parenting. Don’t take me wrong.

I know that as parents, it is our primary obligation to provide for the material needs of our children. However, in my mind, this should not be at the expense of withholding them what they need most –our attention, and personal touch.

Child rearing is meant to be a passion, not an obligation. Obligation follows passion, not the other way around. Caring for our children on the basis of our love and our passion to ensure their welfare and future is the best way of parenting.

Toys, however expensive or educationally beneficial will not substitute for a personal attention.

How many of us have been guilty of these impositions? Don’t touch that! Don’t go there! NO!!! Don’t do that! Wipe your nose! Go play with your toys! I am busy!

We are actually imposing stiff rules on very fragile minds. Do they really understand the meaning and intents of those prohibitions? Would it be possible instead to do it the other way, like ‘do this’ with your assistance, and a little of your time (or a short pause from your reading, TV watching, phone conversation, work, etc.)?

Child rearing is not a mere obligation that needs to be dispensed. It is a calling. It is privilege. It is a passion.

I am still learning.

Share your thoughts please.

No comments: