Menu

Monday, April 20, 2009

Music Must Inspire | A Discordant Thought

music must inspire
"It occurred to me by intuition, and music was the driving force behind that intuition. My discovery was the result of musical perception." (When asked about his theory of relativity) - Albert Einstein
I am an R&B and acoustic music buff, however I listened to and enjoyed other genre, that is, depending on my mood. I have no favorite singer, although I love the music of Kenny G, James Ingram, MLTR, and The Tony Rich Project. What’s yours?

I used to compose songs. Yeah. I do. I write the lyrics and hum the melody in my mind afterwards, and would usually hassle my brother to find the right notes or keys in his guitar. But none of those ever went close to a recording like what they offer at Ravel Virtual Studios. If the 80’s have been the days of the youTube, we would have probably uploaded several of those rough music sessions.

Nevertheless, I still love listening to music in excellent recording, where you can appreciate the minutia of the scoring. No booze can replace the kind of “high” it brings.

I noticed though that most of my productive time working is when I have a good music piped in on the background. Well, it seems that Einstein and I share the same experience. On the other side of the spectrum, great music that inspire were actually born out real inspirations.

I don’t know with you, but when I listen to a particular music, more often I listen to the man behind that music, the singer or the composer. As Charlie “YardBird” Parker puts it,
"Music is your own experience, your own thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn. They teach you there's a boundary line to music. But, man, there's no boundary line to art."
Indeed!

It is said that music is the language of the soul, and hence should be born-out within. And when music is inspired like that, it also inspires another soul.