Menu

Saturday, November 08, 2008

A change in lifestyle

lifestyle change, priorities, frugal livingThe US presidential election is over. It’s really time for change, not only in America, but in our lifestyles. While the whole world has (almost) receded from their applause on the landslide win of Obama, most of the Americans are looking forward to a radical ‘change’ or more aptly, turn-around on the US economy. It was the number one reason for the vote casted anyway. All eyes are fixed on the hope that Obama will remedy this financial crisis. I, on the other hand while among those, believe that the remedy in the crisis rests not only on government but also on each of us. We are directly responsible.

A quick self-inventory on our lifestyles will immediately reveal where the real problems are. We chew more than we can swallow. We live above our means. We care less about the future (although, more often we talk about it). We live as though there is no tomorrow. We have placed our trust and confidence –contrary to what we profess at the back of the dollar bill –on our bonds, insurances, and stocks. Now, we are at the peril of losing them all together.

If there is a real change that is needed, as Obama preached in his campaign, it is the change in our lifestyles. Frugal living is a choice. Frugal living is a lifestyle that can cope any crisis. Real change should begin with us. Here. Now. Our lifestyle.

When the news of the imminent financial meltdown among the world’s largest financial institution in the US, fear gripped me immediately. One client after the other started rejecting my proposals, and some cancelled scheduled projects. I realized also that my life’s saving is not even equal to our 3 months expenses. Panic ensued. I had to double my efforts. Meaning less time with my son, less sleep, more coffee, and more work. This to support a lifestyle that I am comfortable with, and which I realized is too expensive to maintain.

So? What’s was my remedy?

Here are some of the immediate actions I have taken since June of this year and which I started to enjoy the benefits there from:
  • I identified the essentials and made them my priorities. Things that I think I can’t live without, like my laptop, eyeglasses, cellphone, my son’s milk, health insurance, among others. We need these.

  • I discarded what I don’t (really) need. I sold my car. Gasoline and maintenance is costly. Since I stayed mostly at home and calls on clients almost twice a week only, I opted for services of cabs. I disconnected my Cable subscription, surrendered my credit cards, and more.

  • I started saving 20% of what I earned regardless.

  • I prioritized the payments of bills and outstanding loans. Interests and penalties add up to my expenses if these things are delayed.
Surprisingly, these actions actually changed my lifestyle. It was uncomfortable at the outset, but now I am happy with the choice. Even if the economy will fare better or worse in the future, I care less now because I know I can survive. A change in lifestyle, frugal living, was all that I need.

1 comment:

  1. May be the situation that takes place now will show that it will never do to live as if there is no tomorrow. May be the crisis will make us think that we shouldn't always rely on luck and should consider all the possible cases.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts ^_~